As of April 1, 2023 there are no more COVID-19 rental protections for rent in Los Angeles. To prevent eviction, tenants must pay rent in full each month.
Those who have received an unlawful detainer have five days to answer. One way to get help is by going to the Stay Housed LA website or by calling 1-888-694-0040.
Stay Housed L.A. is a partnership between the County of Los Angeles, the City of Los Angeles, and local community and legal service providers. Together, we provide the residents of Los Angeles County, from Lancaster to Long Beach, with information and support to exercise their rights so that they can remain safely in their homes.
- Learn about City of L.A. emergency protections at housing.lacity.org (direct link) or by calling 1-866-557-7368.
- Learn about the State’s renter protections at HousingIsKey.com.
- Learn about the relationship between the City of L.A. and State protections through the City Attorney’s webpage: lacityattorney.org/tenant-protections.
- Check whether you live in the City of L.A. by visiting neighborhoodinfo.lacity.org.
- Check whether you live in a rent-stabilized unit and are eligible for additional protections by texting “RSO” to 1-855-880-7368.